Visit us for your next retreat.

In a protected natural setting, on the shores of Shawnigan Lake, our retreat and outdoor education center is a serene and relaxing venue for your next group retreat.

Camp Pringle has 18 wonderful acres of mossy forest, open fields, wetlands, nature trails, our own private waterfront, beach, dock and fire circle.

We embrace and encourage respectful, no-trace camping, so that our beautiful environment is maintained. We have been operating from this site continuously since 1950.

Contact us to rent Camp Pringle for:

  • Community & Youth groups, 4H, Guides, Scouts
  • Clubs; music, science, theatre, canoeing, kayaking, rowing
  • Team building & leadership programs
  • Conferences - small or large
  • Meetings & workshops
  • Adult weekend retreats – art, music, spiritual, writing
  • Family reunions of all sizes
  • Weddings
  • Breathtaking lake views from our main Spencer Hall building
  • Upper Spencer dining room with wood burning, stone fireplace, comfortably seats 150 people
  • Vaulted ceilings, wall to wall windows, built in projector screen, sound system, coffee station, full size fridge
  • Lower Spencer has a large meeting hall equipped with built in projector screen and sound system which will accommodate various sized meetings and workshops
  • Pool table, ping pong & board games available
  • Experienced Chefs and full size commercial kitchen
  • 2 medium sized, separate common gathering spaces, for use as meeting/breakout rooms
  • 1 smaller (6 or 8 person) - practise, study, meeting or break out room
  • 9 Rustic, traditional summer cabins, can accommodate up to 108 people (12 beds per)
  • Central washroom building with heat, hot water and showers
  • 2 camp fire circles - roast marshmallows with your group
  • Outdoor activity areas, including private dock, lakeside & forest fire circles, volleyball court, basketball court, playing field, outdoor chapel, waterfront with swimming, paddling and boating areas, archery range, climbing wall, low & high ropes courses
  • Wireless internet access

Spencer Hall is our main activity centre, gathering place and dining room (seats 150 comfortably), which offers fantastic views of Shawnigan Lake. Inside Spencer is the Grace Infirmary, camp offices and accommodations for the Director and Chef. Complete with 2 fireplaces (dining room and lower meeting room), outdoor craft shelter, excellent sound system on both levels and a world class kitchen, this fully accessible building is the envy of many camps. The lower meeting space contains a ping-pong and pool table.

Spencer Hall was named to recognize Chris Spencer (Spencer Department Store) who purchased the original 18-acre Camp Pringle property. Chris was a resident of Vancouver but a former member of Metropolitan United Church. After he purchased the property, the deed was turned over to the Victoria Presbytery and held by trustees until turned over to the BC Conference in 2010 as part of the Camp Futures reconstruction. The original Spencer Hall was built in 1951 by volunteers under the direction of Harry Wilkinson and Bob McKinnon. A dining hall extension completed in 1966 and an office extension completed in 2007. The building was torn down over the winter of 2010 upon completion of the new Spencer Hall.

The current Spencer Hall was built in 2010; you can see the plans of Spencer Dining Hall direct from the architect's site (Principle Architecture).

The original Grace Infirmary was constructed in 1955 and served as the principle medical facility until replaced by the current rooms in 2010. The current Infirmary has 3 beds in 2 rooms for campers needing medical care, a bedroom for medical staff washroom and waiting room.

Laura Butler Lodge was built in 1993, honouring the many contributions to camp by the Reverend Laura Butler. The building contains 6 bedrooms (3 up and 3 down) each of which can accommodate 6-8 people (rooms were adopted by local United Church congregations in 1999-2000). Washrooms with showers are located upstairs and downstairs and each floor contains additional meeting space.

A new roof was installed in 2009 as part of the Camp Futures project. In 2017 a major renovation will be undertaken, funded through a significant donation from the Reverend Laura Butler with additional fiscal support of the BC Conference of the United Church of Canada. The facility sees heavy use throughout the year.

Construction of the original Branter Lodge began in 1963 and was completed in 1964, with one "wing" constructed each year. The building honours Don Branter who at the time of his death in 1962 was active in securing funding to build accommodation to replace the original building on the property, affectionately known as the "Silver Castle". In 2009 it was deconstructed and moved to Eco Lake Bible Camp near Prince George.

Built in 2010, the new Branter Lodge has 12 rooms with beds for 24 people, 5 washrooms, 4 showers and a kitchen/meeting room which can accommodate 24. Plans for Branter Lodge can be viewed direct from the architect's site (Principle Architecture).

The waterfront is the heart of Camp Pringle. The current docks were completely rebuilt over a weekend in May 2016 by Herowork, with volunteers from the Vancouver Island Construction Association Under 40 group (VICA U40) and HeroWork with dock experts provided by the Oak Bay Marine Group. The story of the reconstruction can be read here. Additional fiscal support for the dock rebuild was provided by the BC Conference of the United Church of Canada.

Camp Pringle has a fleet of canoes, kayaks, sailboats and paddle boards. There is a campfire pit and beach volleyball court located at the waterfront.

The boathouse, built in 1975, was painted by summer Crew in 2015. The boathouse is named after Bob McKee and Doug Collis, two long-time George Pringle Memorial Camp Society directors who spent many, many hours supporting camp at the waterfront.

Camp Pringle has 9 rustic, traditional summer cabins, can accommodate up to 108 people (12 beds per). The two newest cabins were built in 2010 as part of the Camp Futures Project. While some of the cabins date back to the early days of the camp, they have been well cared for, with fresh paint and new stairs in recent years. All cabin have 2 exits, but after 65 years, none have lights, electricity or heating. Classic Camp!

The gazebo was built in 2003 using lumber milled from the property. It was moved to its current site as the registration area in 2011.
The caretaker's house us known as Pendray Cottage, honouring the legacy of Herbert Pendray. Built in 1958 and enlarged by 40% in 1998, in 2016 the carport was enclosed to provide a private workshop for the caretaker. The main camp workshop, adjacent to Pendray, was built in 1988.
The gatehouse is the only original building from the time the property was owned by Captain Armstrong and Dame Nellie Melba, who was known as an Australian Opera singer. Before becoming part of Camp Pringle in 1950, the gatehouse housed Captain Armstrong's butler. Most recently painted summer 2015, the building is alternately used as accommodation for staff/volunteers and storage.
The current North Pole was built by Bob French in 1996, replacing an earlier 1960’s structure which only had cold running water (hence the name the North Pole). With the fiscal support from the BC Conference of the United Church of Canada this facility will undergo a significant renovation spring 2017.
Originally in the woods behind the parking lot, the chapel moved by Richard Pope in 2005 to a more secluded location. The new gateway was built in in 2016 by Caretaker Christian Singer.